Art Of Raising Venture Capital
- Make sure VC is right for you. Most deals are suitable for VC for reasons that have to do with VC and not the company.
- Capture attention in 15 seconds. There’s a long story about Hot-or-Not to deliver this point.
- Offer a "clean deal." Don’t give the VC an easy reason to pass (in the first meeting). Avoid lawsuits, nepotism, IP issues, etc.
- Pitch in PowerPoint. Great quote: "not using PowerPoint is like joining a Haiku contest and then saying ‘I don’t want to be limited by 5-7-5.’"
- Drill a lot of holes. Go after a bunch of investors…at the end of the day all money is green
Bonus tip: ignore all of the above if your business is lightning in a bottle and growing faster than you can scale.